Sunday, November 25, 2012

Say YES to help this Holiday Season

We have officially entered the Holiday Season.




I hope the only thing people are facing is the Tryptophan coma from all of their leftover Turkey.  Thanksgiving is a time to give Thanks for all the blessings in our life - not material things but gratitude's that have blessed our lives. This year has had its highs and lows for many of us.  But one thing stays forever, our SecureACure4MS family.  Family is forever.  Sharon and I are blessed and truly thankful to have you all as part of our family.


Black Friday - for many this is a Tradition.  Retail establishments for one day (it used to be one day) put merchandise at a deep discount.  Many offer great door buster sales to the first  shoppers that come through their doors.  For many stores the offers are sooo great that people camp out in front of the store to ensure they are first in line.  Here in Florida we had some camping out a full week in advance.  Have we gone too far?  I am not going to dis those that choose to shop as I hear from many that with all the discounts they were able to complete most if not all of their holiday shopping.  Prior to my MS diagnosis I could keep up.  But now I have issues starting with the parking lot, and the crowds of people pushing and shoving.  I like to take my time and shop, not have to worry that someone is going to snatch up an item under my nose.  WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS

BLACK FRIDAY OR NO BLACK FRIDAY?

I spent my Black Friday decorating the house.  I woke up that morning.  Had my coffee and a bagel.  My grandmother was coming over around noon to help me decorate.  I could not wait that long.  By 830 am  I became SUPER WOMAN




Stockings are hung by Fireplace.  I decorated mantles, the ficus tree, coffee tables, dining room.  Hung wreaths, swapped out towels and rugs.  I was like a Mad Woman on Friday.  I was blessed to have my grandmother come over around 1pm and she was like, "you have Most of it up, there isn't much for me to do". She brought her old village set and set it up on one of the cabinets in the dining room and helped me decorated the tree with ornaments.

My parents and brother will be in for Christmas and I want it to look nice.  The whole family is coming to the house on Christmas day for dinner (except my baby brother and his family).  I want the house to look extra special for my mom since she isn't here to decorate it herself.  (she will be in 2 days before Christmas)






I have to say the house looks great.. Between my grandmother and I we accomplished a lot.

BUT,,,,it seems with all good things there comes a BUT

And I knew it but put my "BUT" aside to ensure I created a festive environment for everyone who comes to the house.  I took full advantage of the "energy" burst I was feeling and boy am I paying for it.  I am super tired and my legs are tight and in pain...

 WHY DO WE OVERDO IT WHEN WE FEEL GOOD?

I KNOW the price I will pay for it... so why do I do it?

This is my favorite time of year.  Being a transplant from Ohio its VERY hard to get in the Christmas spirit in Florida. There is no snow and most days we are outside in shorts and t-shirts. We in Florida, well at least me, dream of a White Christmas - I love going up north for Christmas.  I think EVERYONE in the US should have snow on Christmas Day (then it can go away).  I love the music, in fact that is all I listen to until day after Christmas.  I love the Hallmark Christmas movies, old classics like Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph.  And the classic Christmas Vacation.  I just love Aunt Bethany and watched this movie 3 times already this weekend.


I love the lights, the decor.  The change in spirit, during the holidays warms the heart.  People seem to be more giving, more tolerant, more patient (except when trying to find a parking spot at the Mall)


It's amazing what we as MS'ers do and sacrifice for the love of our family and friends.  But we have to take care of ourselves.  If we don't take care of ourselves we won't be able to take care of our loved ones or may have to miss out on opportunities because of increase fatigue, pain, or more severe, a relapse. 

Ask for help - allow for help - conserve your energy - remember what you use EXTRA one day may take away from what you have the next day. 

As much as you may really love decorating.  Let people help you put up a tree, string lights, put out decorations, bake holiday treats.  All of this takes more energy than I realized. 

I really like the Spoon Theory.  Its symbolic of what we deal with.

My Christmas wish to you all  (I know its early) but my wish is for ALL of us to have a Pain free, Symptom Free, Relapse Free Holiday.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment