Tuesday, June 26, 2012

MS doesn't define me, however!

Multiple Sclerosis doesn't define me as a person, I look at it as though it is a part of me. My personal way of handling MS is to deal with it one step one day at a time. If I have to adjust my schedule, so be it. There is no shame in that.

I have learned to live with a new  "normal", our "normal's" are all different but especially for MS patients. I use a cane to ambulate, a walker or wheelchair. I wasn't comfortable at first with going out in public with my walking/mobility aids. As time went I realized if my "normal" revolved around a mobility aid, and able to get out and do things, whats the problem, actually whats MY  problem.?

When I realized this issue wasn't about others looking at me. it was how I chose to handle it. At first I was defensive, as I became more comfortable in my" new skin", I handled it with humor. Most times when people "ask why do I use a cane", I say ""well I have MS, the common response is," I am so sorry". I usually reply "no need to be sorry I am a pro at this". Most people ask from a place of kindness and concern, so to lighten the mood,  I find comic relief is paramount. 

So as you can see I don't allow MS to define me, I embrace it and roll with it. Thats my personal take on it, and it works for me.




No comments:

Post a Comment