Saturday, August 25, 2012

ON ward



Hear no evil, speak no eveil SEE NO.... WAIT I CANT REALLY SEE ANYTHING?



Am I blind? 

Will I see again?

Oh the pain

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME????

For many with MS, Optic Neuritis was our "relapse" that lead to our MS Diagnosis.  At least that was the case for me.  One day I am at work. Going about my day, and BAM - my eye starts watering and I feel something in my eye - at least it felt like something was in my eye.  Probably an eyelash.



I pulled at my eyelid all weekend.  I STILL CANNOT SEE!!!!  well that isnt entirely true.  I didnt see "black" which i always imagined someone without sight would see.  It was like a gray smokey cloud.  Some say its like looking through a lace curtain.

guess I better go to the doctor. (mind you I DONT DO DOCTORS - I dont EVER get sick...advil fixes everything)

my first diagnosis - I have a scratch on my eye and given drops.  I am also told my eye is very dry so asked to use eye drops for moisture.  WHEW - i can do that...

5 days later and NO improvement in the eye....but what i found fascinating is that i "forgot" I couldnt see. 

FORGET?





My right eye is the one that i couldn't see out of but my brain told my left eye to do all the work, so it compensated for my vision loss.  WOW  - our bodies are really amazing.

I went to eye doc and she reviewed,  She told me that i was permanently blind in that eye.  There was no way to fix it....

WHAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thankfully the next day I was sent to a Neuro Opthamalogist who diagnosed me with Optic Neuritis.

So what is Optic Neuritis (ON)?

  • Optic neuritis is inflammation of the optic nerve


Up to 50% of patients with MS will develop an episode of optic neuritis, and 20-30% of the time optic neuritis is the first sign of MS.

Some Symptoms of ON
  •  sudden blurred or "foggy" vision
  • pain with movement of eye
  • loss of vision
  • loss of color (washed out)
Most regain vision back - but it may not be 100%

I regained 90-95% with my right eye seeing colors as "washed out"

How do i know its ON

  • your doctor will have you take a Visual Field test to check your peripheral vision
  • they may also have you have a MRI

I have ON - what do i do?

  • Speak to your doctor and they will probably suggest you go on Corticosteroids such as IV Solu-medral,  Depending on doc's recommendation it will be 3-5 days,  It may or may not be followed by a taper of Prednisone.


Ok - I have treated my ON now what?

  • Please speak to your neurologist about starting a Disease Modifying Drug or evaluating if the one you are on needs to be changed.







No comments:

Post a Comment