Tuesday, June 26, 2012

LIVE dont just Exist

"you have MS so i won't include you in this"

"but you look so good, you must just be lazy"

"you dont look sick"

I dont know about you, but I HATE hearing those phrases.

But what gets me upset even more are those who CAN and choose to let their MS dictate their life.  I will admit, I was like that initially.  But my best friend Sharon said to me "Heather, LIVE dont just Exist" 

HUH? 




"Dont let MS say you cant do something.  You can do most anything, you just need to do it a little bit differently"

Find your new normals. YOU know your body and what you can do and the signs that something isnt right. 

Example:  Fatigue and Heat can be an issue for me.  My family was in town and wanted to go to Sea World.  We walked a lot, but I took a break whenver I could.  I drank LOTS of cold water to help keep my core temp down.  When I got hot or felt dizzy, i went into an indoor exibit or a store.  I enjoyed the day with my family and didnt miss out.  Precious time with my Niece and Nephew who i only get to see once a year.

Have you read the Spoon Theory? It was written for Lupus patients but is an excellent tool in explaining to people who dont have MS (or other Invisible Diseases) how simple things can use up our energy for the day, so we sometimes have to plan accordingly.

Wait Heather, you said to LIVE, not just exist...find your new normals.

We are SUPERHEROES in our own right, but we have to be realistic and listen to our bodies.  If our bodies say NO, dont push it.  But at least try.  LIVE!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment